Saturday, September 22, 2012

Balance and Blessings


Mabon, or the Autumn Equinox, reminds us to find peace in balance and to count our blessings. I have always loved the Spring Equinox above all other holy days, for I grew up in a place where longer days were a thing to rejoice!

In the Pacific Northwest during the fall and winter months the sun can go down as early as 4pm, add to that the fact that the sun never really comes out at all and you have a recipe for a serious vitamin D deficiency also known as Seasonal Effective Disorder. Living in the dark can make you feel dark and the coming of spring always gave me a overwhelming feeling of relief.

However, for the last few years I have been living in either a desert (Phoenix has summer temperatures up to 120*) or in the sub-tropics (Costa Rica and Florida where it's not the heat it's the humidity, but it's still pretty freakin' hot, so it's the oppressive heat!). And so I find myself with an overwhelming feeling of relief for the coming of fall.



Equal parts night and day, dark and light, spring and fall, there is balance in the universe and so there shall be in my life!  

I am grateful for the summer rain that has made my world juicy with life.
I am grateful for the warm sun's rays which have kissed my skin with a healthy glow.
I am grateful for the heat that drove us into the healing salt water bath of the Gulf waters.
I am grateful for the summer storms that lit up the sky with awe inspiring light displays.
I am grateful for the safe shelter (aka: central air conditioning unit) of my home!


No comments:

Post a Comment