Friday, October 26, 2012

Seriously!?


I have always looked like my mothers daughter, or at least I would have if she looked old enough to be my mother, that is to say that my mother and I have always been the kind of mother-daughter duo that often is mistaken for sisters.

I never liked being young. I couldn't wait to be old enough to be taken seriously. I was so happy to turn 30 that for the whole year, starting in January of my 30th birthday, when asked I would say, “I'll be 30 this year (my birthday is in December). I am proud of my crows feet and point out my 3 gray hairs as bragging rights.

However lately I find that I look less and less like my mother's daughter, and more and more like my mother. My husbands (both my current and the former) have assured me that they did the check-out-the-mom-to-see-how-she-will-age-before-you-marry-her test and that I have nothing to be worried about. My mother was carded on her 40th birthday and as I approach 35 she still doesn't look old enough to be my mom.

I know that I am no longer young when I hear that my favorite song from high school is 20 years old and that the boy that was 5 when I dated his father just went away to college.

The funny thing is that the older I get, the more I wish people would stop taking me so damn seriously!

No comments:

Post a Comment